Re: Linker ... still useful ?

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,3193350740,3193382879)
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 15:13:33 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linker ... still useful ? guerin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (1994-09-21)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (1994-09-22)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? marko@pulse.com (1994-09-22)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? laverman@cs.rug.nl (1994-09-23)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? z005465b@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Joel Runes) (1994-09-26)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? baynes@mulsoc2.serigate.philips.nl (1994-09-26)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? ram+@cs.cmu.edu (Rob MacLachlan) (1994-09-27)
Re: Linker ... still useful ? steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (1994-09-28)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,3193350740,3193382879)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 15:13:33 GMT

guerin@IRO.UMontreal.CA:
> I don't want to question the usefulness of linkers as tools, since of
> course they are quite used, and then probably useful.
>
> No, what I want to question in fact is linking as a process different from
> compilation, as a real step in the process of building executables.

As I pointed out in

    Assembly Language as Object Code,
    Software - Practice and Experience, 13, 8 (1983) 715-725.

Assemblers and linkers can do exactly the same thing. I did this by
taking a fairly ordinary assembler with conditional and text inclusion
facilities and showing how it could be used as a linker. Fraser and
Hanson showed much the same thing when they developed a linker that
used a textual object language and then showed how it could be used
as an assembler, in:

    A Machine Independant Linker,
    Software - Practice and Experience, 13, 4, (1982) 351-366.

In both of these papers, the linkers being addressed support the normal
FORTRAN/C linkage conventions.

I recommend both papers to anyone interested in how to write such linkers,
and I give away the SMAL assembler and manual, on which I based my paper
cited above, to anyone who wants it. Here's the URL (in this case, an FTP
address):

        ftp://ftp.cs.uiowa.edu/public/jones/smal/

The software should be quite useful for instructional purposes, and if you
happen to be developing a new computer architecture, it's a good starting
point for hacking up an assembler and linker for the new machine.

Doug Jones
jones@cs.uiowa.edu