C++ compiler performance test suite?

euajvs@eua.ericsson.se (Jan Skarvall)
Fri, 16 Sep 1994 07:40:34 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ compiler performance test suite? euajvs@eua.ericsson.se (1994-09-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c++
From: euajvs@eua.ericsson.se (Jan Skarvall)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 07:40:34 GMT

I wonder if anyone out there has a test suite for measuring the
performance of the code a C++ (cross) compiler generates.

I have not tried do define exactly what I want, but I think it
is something like this:

1) The programs in the test suite shall be able to run
in an embedded environment.

2) The programs shall measure the execution performance of
various important C++ language constructs, e.g.
object construction/destruction, exception try/throw,
inline functions, loop constructs, etc.

3) The programs shall be realistic in size and complexity.

4) The programs shall use C++ as it should be used, that is
according to generally accepted rules and guidelines.

Jan Skarvall Phone: +46 8 727 38 91
ELLEMTEL, Box 1505 Fax: +46 8 647 82 76
S-125 25 ÄLVSJÖ, SWEDEN E-mail: Jan.Skarvall@eua.ericsson.se
[The usual advice is to use a program you actually plan to use as your
benchmark. Synthetic benchmarks invariably lie. I'd think that'd be a
particular problem with C++ since there are a lot of different programming
styles which work better or worse in different compilers. -John]