Re: Fleshed out C grammar (Ronald F. Guilmette)
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 19:05:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fleshed out C grammar (Frank Price) (1994-09-14)
Re: Fleshed out C grammar (1994-09-15)
Re: Fleshed out C grammar (1994-09-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Ronald F. Guilmette)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 19:05:30 GMT

Frank Price <> writes:
>I don't have much experience with lex and yacc, but I'm trying to write a
>parser that takes C or pseudo-C code and translates it to a simple 3AC
>code (not beyond) ...
>[Well, there's always gcc. -John]

Don't forget about LCC; the new freely available, retargetable C compiler
produced by Princeton/Bell-Labs.

The total amount of code in LCC is perhaps an order of magnitude less than
that currently present in the GCC distributions. For someone who just
needs a *comprehensible* C front-end (for some small project) I think LCC
is the new compiler of choice. (And by the way, my own testing indicates
that the latest version of LCC is also more fully conformant to the ANSI C
standard than GCC is... even when using GCC's -pedantic-errors option. I
know of several `standard conformance' front-end bugs in GCC. Currently,
I don't think I know of _any_ front-end bugs in the latest LCC release.
Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't any. I just means that they are
well hidden. :-) --

-- Ron Guilmette, Sunnyvale, CA ---------- RG Consulting -------------------
---- domain addr: ----------- Purveyors of Compiler Test ----
---- uucp addr: ...!uunet!netcom!rfg ------- Suites and Bullet-Proof Shoes -