Re: EBNF open letter

fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson)
Sat, 17 Sep 1994 04:53:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
EBNF open letter 72634.2402@CompuServe.com (1994-09-11)
Re: EBNF open letter mabp@bga.com (1994-09-14)
Re: EBNF open letter fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1994-09-17)
Re: EBNF open letter dbaarda@ozemail.com.au (Don Baarda) (1994-09-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: fjh@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 1994 04:53:13 GMT

72634.2402@CompuServe.com (John Rogers) writes:

>Are you aware of any ongoing work on standardizing EBNF? Perhaps an ANSI,
>IEEE, IEC, or ISO committee? If nothing is ongoing, then I might be
>interested in creating an informal committee for this. Would you be
>interested in being involved in the committee? Or would you just like me
>to keep you posted?

There's an extended BNF notation standardized as

BS6154, Method of defining -- Syntactic metalanguage, 1981

which is used by the Prolog DIS (Draft International Standard).
It includes the following symbols:

Symbol Meaning
------ -------
Unquoted characters Non-terminal symbol
" ... " Terminal symbol
' ... ' Terminal symbol
( ... ) Brackets
[ ... ] Optional symbols
{ ... } Symbols repeat zero or more times
= Defining symbol
; Rule terminator
| Alternative
, Concatenation
(* ... *) Comment

For example:

(* floating-point literals *)
float number token = integer constant, fraction, [exponent]

Note that the names of non-terminal symbols may be multiple words.

--
Fergus Henderson - fjh@munta.cs.mu.oz.au