Re: CISC to RISC translator?

warrens@microsoft.com (Warren Stevens)
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 00:10:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
CISC to RISC translator? Mikael.Larsson@lu.erisoft.se (1994-08-16)
Re: CISC to RISC translator? roedy@BIX.com (1994-08-18)
Re: CISC to RISC translator? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-08-18)
Re: CISC to RISC translator? dave@edo.ho.att.com (1994-08-18)
Re: CISC to RISC translator? richard@atheist.tamu.edu (1994-08-19)
Re: CISC to RISC translator? warrens@microsoft.com (1994-08-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: warrens@microsoft.com (Warren Stevens)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 00:10:44 GMT

What you say is quite true -- precompiling CISC code to RISC is very
efficient (why do it more than once?). From what I understand, however,
by doing so the company that writes the translater opens itself to a whole
host of legal issues: copyright infringement, patent violations, etc. etc.

My source for this information was a recent Byte article where they
dissected the PowerMac and looked at it's hardware and emulation
technology.

Warren
My opinions are my own. I do not in any way speak for Microsoft.
[Although it's certainly possible to argue the legality of object
code translation under various scenarios, this isn't the place to do it.
Legal arguments belong in misc.legal.*, please. -John]