Re: C source language database (Bob Friesenhahn)
Tue, 23 Aug 1994 04:19:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C source language database (1994-08-17)
Re: C source language database (1994-08-19)
Re: C source language database (1994-08-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Bob Friesenhahn)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 04:19:55 GMT (Roedy Green) writes:
|> You can't just change the C++ language to suit your problem, so I began to
|> wonder what could be done to help if source code were stored in DATABASE
|> form rather than a raw text file.

Hi Roedy,

we have been using a product named "SMARTsystem" from Procase which has
all the neat features you list except that it only supports C at the
moment. The features are truely incredible and useful.

There are some drawbacks though:

o A project with only 8 MB of source code takes 50+ MB of disk for
its database and 30 to 50MB of address space to run.

o The database takes from 5 to 30 minutes to generate.

o Code is stored in the database and has to be exported before it can be
be compiled. This can lead to coherency problems.

o You need a UNIX system to run it (actually this is a benefit IMHO).

However, the fact that we purchased the product is testimony that we believe
it to be useful.