Bytecode compilers and virtual machines

smcl@sytex.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Fri, 12 Aug 1994 21:57:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bytecode compilers and virtual machines smcl@sytex.com (1994-08-12)
Re: Bytecode compilers and virtual machines andrew@cee.hw.ac.uk (1994-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: smcl@sytex.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 21:57:57 GMT

Howdy,
                I am seeking literature on bytecode compilation to
a virtual machine instruction set. I have "The SmallTalk books"
that describe SmallTalk-80 implementations and last year's
Dr. Dobbs articles on "PC Supercomputing: the PORT system".
                I am particularly interesting in articles that discuss
virtual machine opcode instruction sets, trade offs on VM size
vs. processor cache size, etc.
                Implementations would also be welcome (in Source - C,
Pascal, assembler) for perusal. Thanks in advance. If there is
interest, I'll summarize responses and post.

Scott McLoughlin
Conscious Computing