Comparing object files

Shawn Shealy <shawn@grok90.columbiasc.NCR.COM>
Mon, 8 Aug 1994 13:30:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Weeding out unwanted include files gary@Intrepid.COM (1994-08-02)
Re: Weeding out unwanted include files zstern@adobe.com (1994-08-04)
Comparing object files shawn@grok90.columbiasc.NCR.COM (Shawn Shealy) (1994-08-08)
Comparing object files meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (1994-08-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Shawn Shealy <shawn@grok90.columbiasc.NCR.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 13:30:37 GMT

Does anyone know of a utility to compare functions in an unstripped object
file? In particular, I want such a utility for 80386 ELF files.

I'm making many changes to a large C program (and it's #includes) and want
to be able to tell exactly which functions I impacted (and know that I
didn't affect others).

I'd like to be able to compile this program without my changes and
then with my changes (using the same compiler and options) and then see
the functions that changed.

The utility would obviously need to be "smart" enough to do the right
thing with external references. For example, a call to foo() at address
0x10000 in one ELF file should be the same as a call to foo() at address
0x20000 in another (even if foo() changes), but a call to foo() at address
0x10000 in one ELF file would NOT be the same as a call to fff() at address
0x10000 in another ELF file.

Ideas?

Thanks!
-shawn :-)