Re: DOS to UNIX shell translator?

Stephen Darlington <Stephen.Darlington@durham.ac.uk>
Fri, 5 Aug 1994 11:49:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: DOS to UNIX shell translator? Stephen.Darlington@durham.ac.uk (Stephen Darlington) (1994-08-05)
Re: DOS to UNIX shell translator? dtrg@st-andrews.ac.uk (1994-08-07)
Re: DOS to UNIX shell translator? ok@cs.rmit.oz.au (1994-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Stephen Darlington <Stephen.Darlington@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 11:49:24 GMT

I think that now might be a good time to give more information about what
I need to do.

I need to translate between UNIX and DOS (and back) shells for my third
year computing project - so a sh like shell for DOS would not be of use.
Current opinion (my own and of people who have replied - thanks and sorry
for not replying by the way) suggest that I should use the Bourne shell.

I am partiucularly interested to know whether there exists a lex script
for this shell, and of any books or articles that might help me.

Thanks again.

Steve (stephen.darlington@dur.ac.uk)
[Honestly, I think this is hopeless except for tiny toy scripts. And
there's still the problem that much of the useful functionality of the
Bourne shell comes from commands like test, cat, and grep, none of which
have standard DOS equivalents. -John]