Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler

jls@summit.novell.com
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 19:44:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Languages that give "hints" to the compiler jhummel@cy4.ICS.UCI.EDU (Joe Hummel) (1994-07-18)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler wisej@acf4.nyu.edu (1994-07-29)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler tgl@netcom.com (1994-07-19)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler jfisher@hplabsz.hpl.hp.com (1994-07-21)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler rfg@netcom.com (1994-07-31)
Languages that give "hints" to the compiler ssimmons@convex.com (1994-08-01)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler jls@summit.novell.com (1994-08-02)
Re: Languages that give "hints" to the compiler rfg@netcom.com (1994-08-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jls@summit.novell.com
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 19:44:00 GMT

rfg@netcom.com (Ronald F. Guilmette) writes:
> [regarding usefulness of dynamically-valued constants for optimization]
>Now to tell the truth, I know of no C or C++ compilers that currently make
>use of const qualification in this way, but I keep hoping. (If anyone
>else knows of compilers that *do* use const qualification in the manner
>I've described, please let me know.)

I've always been a big fan of this underused language feature.

I hope that the next generation of Novell's C++ compiler will make some use
of dynamically-valued constants in optimization.

Ada also has dynamically-valued constants. I know for a fact that
optimizations making use of them are in some of DDC-I's Ada compilers.
The optimization is easier in Ada because you know the constant object
can't be aliased.

Jonathan Schilling
Novell, UNIX Systems Group
jls@summit.novell.com