Re: Pentium Compiler?

tgm@netcom.com (Thomas G. McWilliams)
Mon, 1 Aug 1994 10:22:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pentium Compiler? colem861@cs.uidaho.edu (1994-07-28)
Re: Pentium Compiler? johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-07-30)
Re: Pentium Compiler? tgm@netcom.com (1994-08-01)
Re: Pentium Compiler? hays@ichips.intel.com (1994-08-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tgm@netcom.com (Thomas G. McWilliams)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 10:22:02 GMT

James E Coleman (colem861@cs.uidaho.edu) wrote:
: Basically what I'm looking for is a compiler that will optimize for the
: Pentium Processor. Please do not mistake this for a 486 compiler that will
: run on the Pentium. Any suggestions?

Try ftp.intel.com:/pub/x86/gcc/compiler/gcc-i2.4.0p.tar.Z

This is Intel's own version of gcc for the P5. I don't think any of the
changes have been merged into the FSF/cygnus tree. This might be your only
choice with respect to gcc. It is reported to generate code about 20%
faster on P5 processors than standard gcc. According to the docs, this is
Intel's only experiment with gcc for the P5 and they have ceased further
work on this compiler.

tgm@netcom.com