Re: IEEE's NaN names (Richard Henderson)
Tue, 28 Jun 1994 21:06:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
IEEE's NaN names (1994-06-24)
Re: IEEE's NaN names (1994-06-26)
Re: IEEE's NaN names (1994-06-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Richard Henderson)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 21:06:25 GMT

Paul Dechering <> wrote:
>Does anybody know the list of those IEEE floating point numbers that are
>NaN (Not a Number)? We like to get a standard name for the smallest
>positive float as well as the largest positive float. Any suggestions are

As our moderator notes, the IEEE standard doesn't name them, but I've
seen the functions

double infinity(void);
double max_normal(void);
double max_subnormal(void);
double min_normal(void);
double min_subnormal(void);
double quiet_nan(long);
double signaling_nan(long);

on several systems, most notably suns. There are also corresponding
functions for floats and long doubles.

The argument to quiet_nan() and signaling_nan() allows user data to
be embedded in the NaN that can be extracted by error handling

richard henderson