Re: Need Performance Analyser (PCA) for HP-UX

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:26:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need Performance Analyser (PCA) for HP-UX langbein@pilot.njin.net (1994-06-21)
Re: Need Performance Analyser (PCA) for HP-UX ssimmons@convex.com (1994-06-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:26:18 GMT

> I am looking for a product similar to PCA on the VAX-VMS system.
> (PCA = Performance Coverage Analyser) We are trying to determine how
> hard various modules are being hit in a C application, and we do not
> have an equivelent currently on our UNIX system (HPUX-9.04 series
> 800). If anyone can point me to something equivelent (Shareware,
> commercial, etc) that we could use, I would appreciate it greatly.
> However, please try to mail me direct, because I don't get to read all
> of these groups regularly. Thanks for your assistance.

Compile your program -G or -p and then run gprof or prof respectively.
These products are usually on HP systems by default. They will
allow to look at call trees, routine counts, and pc samples.
The tools are not as versatile as VAX PCA but they seem to meet
your demand. You will not get the interactive capabilities, service
calls or page fault measurements that PCA provides.

Thank you.

Steve Simmons