Re: Parsing C++ with lex++ and bison++ ?

ruiter@ruls41.leidenuniv.nl (Jan-Peter de Ruiter)
Sun, 19 Jun 1994 13:56:06 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing C++ with lex++ and bison++ ? kumar@decster.uta.edu (1994-06-16)
Re: Parsing C++ with lex++ and bison++ ? ruiter@ruls41.leidenuniv.nl (1994-06-19)
Re: Parsing C++ with lex++ and bison++ ? bburshte@us.oracle.com (Boris Burshteyn) (1994-06-23)
Re: Parsing C++ with lex++ and bison++ ? aleung@netcom.com (1994-06-25)
Re: Parsing C++ with lex++ and bison++ ? bburshte@us.oracle.com (Boris Burshteyn) (1994-06-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ruiter@ruls41.leidenuniv.nl (Jan-Peter de Ruiter)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 1994 13:56:06 GMT

kumar@decster.uta.edu wrote:

: Has any anyone used lex++ and bison++ to parse C++ code, successfully.
: Are there any bugs in it. The bottom line is, is it worth using it at
: all.

About the grammar you need for C++, I know nothing. But with regard to
using lex++ and bison++, I have a comment that you might appreciate.
Flex++ and Bison++ do generate C++ code, but they do not cooperate well
with some C++ features. A great disappointment for me was that I couldn't
use $-types that were classes with user-defined constructors. You have to
do everything with pointers, i.e. do your own memory management. This, for
me, spoiled all the fun.

Greetings,

Jan