Symbolic Analysis dissertation

havlak@cs.umd.edu (Paul Havlak)
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 20:55:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Symbolic Analysis dissertation havlak@cs.umd.edu (1994-06-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: havlak@cs.umd.edu (Paul Havlak)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 20:55:47 GMT

        I've completed my dissertation at Rice University, _Interprocedural
Symbolic Analysis_. It's now available by anonymous FTP and on the WWW:

                * Anonymous FTP on hyena.cs.umd.edu, directory pub/havlak/thesis

                * WWW via the URL http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/havlak/thesis.html

        I'll be glad for any comments. Here's the abstract (short version):

Interprocedural Symbolic Analysis

Compiling for efficient execution on advanced computer architectures
requires extensive program analysis and transformation. We present
methods for analyzing array side effects and for comparing nonconstant
values computed in the same and different procedures, and examine their
utility in array dependence testing.

In our experiments, regular section analysis of array side effects
provides up to 39 percent reductions in array dependences at call sites,
with an up to 25 percent increase in compilation time. Symbolic analysis
within procedures provides up to 32 percent reductions in array
dependences. Our implementation of interprocedural symbolic analysis
provides little direct reduction in dependences by itself, but may give
indirect improvements by enabling and improving other analyses.

--Paul
--
Paul Havlak Dept. of Computer Science, A.V. Williams Bldg
Postdoctoral Research Associate U. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-3255