Re: Compiler topics

preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Fri, 13 May 1994 19:45:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compilers, in a nutshell ellard@endor.harvard.edu (1994-05-09)
Compiler topics hammondr@sungod.crd.ge.com (1994-05-11)
Compiler topics ssimmons@convex.com (1994-05-12)
Re: Compiler topics preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 19:45:01 GMT

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons) writes:
>Didn't Knuth write a compiler to prepare for his books,
>"The Art of Computer Programming".
>[No, actually, he used a pseudo-assembler. Maybe in the later books. -John]

TACP came about as a result of someone asking Knuth to write a book on
compilation. Of course, he got a little carried away -- thank goodness.
1The pseudo-assembler John refers to is, I suppose, for MIX. However, he
had already written a compiler (for what language?) before he even
considered the book. Since it was very rare, at the time, for anyone to
have written a compiler, someone thought he might be the ideal person to
write the book.

For those who are still waiting, Volume 5 is to cover scanning and
parsing, volume 6 looks like semantics, and volume 7 will be programming
language translation.

Preston Briggs