Re: references on Linking ? (Douglas W. Jones,3193350740,3193382879)
Fri, 13 May 1994 13:34:59 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
references on Linking ? (Steven D. Majewski) (1994-05-12)
Re: references on Linking ? (1994-05-13)
Re: references on Linking ? (1994-05-17)
Re: references on Linking ? (1994-05-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Douglas W. Jones,3193350740,3193382879)
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 13:34:59 GMT

>From article 94-05-038,
by "Steven D. Majewski" <>:
> Any other contributions to this list ?

D. W. Jones. Assembly Language as Object Code. Software - Practice
and Experience, 13, 8 (Aug.~1983). 715-725.

This paper shows that assembly language can be used as an object
code, and that an assembler can be used as a linker. All it takes
is a little care in designing the assembly language.

I'm fairly proud of the bibliography on this paper, it took a lot
of work to find relevant references, and I had to go back into some
fairly old stuff to find what I found. As a result, I was particularly
unhappy with one referee who thought that a weak point of the paper
was that half the references were over 10 years old. The referee
wondered if this was evidence that I wasn't current in the field.

I should note that one of my citations is to a paper that shows that
an appropriately designed object code can be used as an assembly
language -- the two papers make an interesting symmetrical pair.

Doug Jones