First public release of the Stanford SUIF Compiler now available!

rfrench@xenon.stanford.edu (Robert S. French)
Sat, 7 May 1994 01:58:53 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
First public release of the Stanford SUIF Compiler now available! rfrench@xenon.stanford.edu (1994-05-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: rfrench@xenon.stanford.edu (Robert S. French)
Date: Sat, 7 May 1994 01:58:53 GMT

The Stanford SUIF Compiler group, led by Monica Lam, is pleased to
announce the first public release of the SUIF Parallelizing Compiler
System.

The SUIF system is designed to serve as an infrastructure for compiler
research. It supplies an intermediate format (SUIF - Stanford University
Intermediate Format) with supporting libraries to read, write, and
manipulate SUIF programs. It also supplies a series of tools, such as:

* C and FORTRAN front ends
* Array dependence analysis library
* Loop transformation library (based on unimodular transformations and
    tiling)
* Matrix and linear inequality manipulation library
* Parallel code generator and runtime library
* Scalar optimizer
* MIPS back end
* C back end (so the native C compiler can be used as a backend for
    non-MIPS machines)
* Linear inequality calculator (for rapid prototyping of algorithms)
* A simplified interface that can be used for compiler courses

SUIF is not meant to be a production-quality compiler. It will not run as
fast, nor generate code as efficient, as a production compiler such as gcc
or your machine's native compiler. It does, however, compile most major
benchmarks and can be used as a base for compiler research. The
parallelizer finds roughly 95% of the loops found by KAP in the Perfect
Club benchmarks, and finds loops that KAP doesn't due to a better
dependence analysis algorithm.

SUIF consists of over 200,000 lines of C and C++ code. A wide range of
documentation is included, including reference manuals for the libraries
and man pages for the programs.

SUIF is released without warranty and without promise of support. We hope
it will be useful to you, but can not guarantee its usefulness or fitness
for a particular purpose. It is available free for non-commercial use.
Redistribution is prohibited.

The SUIF system is available in two ways:

* By anonymous FTP from suif.stanford.edu in the directory
/pub/suif/suif-1.0.tar.Z
    A variety of other files are available from this server.
/pub/suif/README contains the README file for the SUIF
distribution (you may want to read this before
retrieving the tar file).
/pub/suif/suif-overview.ps contains a paper describing,
at a very high level, the SUIF system.
/pub/papers/* contains a wide variety of published papers
on compiler research, many related to the SUIF system.

* By use of the World-Wide Web from the URL:
http://suif.stanford.edu
    This server provides a wide range of information, including all of
    the files available by anonymous ftp, the SUIF documentation, and
    archives of the SUIF mailing lists.

The SUIF compiler project has been supported in part by DARPA contracts
N00014-87-K-0828, N00039-91-C-0138, and DABT63-91-K-0003.

P.S. Even if you are not interested in the SUIF system itself, we invite
you to retrieve our papers by anonymous ftp or investigate our World-Wide
Web server.