Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers

preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Tue, 26 Apr 1994 13:37:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-03-31)
Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers conway@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1994-04-02)
Summary -- Caller vs. Callee Saves bart@cs.uoregon.edu (1994-04-06)
Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers nandu@cs.clemson.edu (1994-04-21)
Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-04-22)
Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers hbaker@netcom.com (1994-04-23)
Re: Caller/Callee saved Registers preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-04-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 13:37:10 GMT

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker) writes:
>how can non-stack environments be properly handled -- i.e., closures.
>I haven't read the paper in some time, but I don't recall a solution
>to the problem of closures.
>
>Equally interesting is what happens in the case of non-local returns --
>i.e., longjmp & various kinds of signals.

They don't discuss either problem. I expect you'd have to do the same
sorts of things people do with ordinary registers and stacks -- bundle
them up, somehow, and put them on the heap. I don't see how they have
any advantage over ordinary registers in these instances; indeed,
they're probably a little more awkward (but only slightly).

Preston Briggs