Re: By value-result vs by reference

nebbe@lglsun.epfl.ch (Robb Nebbe)
Tue, 26 Apr 1994 08:26:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

By value-result vs by reference ssimmons@convex.com (1994-04-21)
Re: By value-result vs by reference hbaker@netcom.com (1994-04-21)
Re: By value-result vs by reference Dik.Winter@cwi.nl (1994-04-21)
Re: By value-result vs by reference nebbe@lglsun.epfl.ch (1994-04-22)
Re: By value-result vs by reference andrewd@apanix.apana.org.au (1994-04-24)
Re: By value-result vs by reference hbaker@netcom.com (1994-04-23)
Re: By value-result vs by reference nebbe@lglsun.epfl.ch (1994-04-26)
Re: By value-result vs by reference Theo.Norvell@comlab.oxford.ac.uk (1994-04-26)
Re: By value-result vs by reference hbaker@netcom.com (1994-04-28)
Re: By value-result vs by reference anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1994-04-29)
Re: By value-result vs by reference nebbe@lglsun.epfl.ch (1994-04-29)
Re: By value-result vs by reference hbaker@netcom.com (1994-05-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: nebbe@lglsun.epfl.ch (Robb Nebbe)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 08:26:19 GMT

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker) writes:
: I have shown how _any_ use of pass-by-value/result can be used to
: compromise an Ada 'limited private' type for which assignment by the user
: is not allowed. It is true that the way I compromise it is 'erroneous',
: but I am not aware of any compiler or interpreter which performs the
: necessary checks to detect the error. The reference is:
:
: Baker, H.G. "How to Steal from a Limited Private Account -- Why Mode IN
: OUT Parameters for Limited Types _Must_ be Passed by Reference". ACM Ada
: Letters XIII,3 (May/June 1993), 91-95.

I'm familiar with the article but the example is so contrived I have a
hard time believing anyone would accidently write code like that. I've
never seen a convincing example showing how someone might accidently
write an "erroneous" program, only how you can write one on purpose.

However, I am very much in agreement on your insistance on semantic
consistency. I find this particular quirk in Ada rather irksome not
because I have ever had a problem with it but because I'm not sure
I won't. A lot of language quirks fall into the same category.

- Robb Nebbe