Linking

"Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:35:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Linking sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1994-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:35:18 GMT

Several here have lamented the limited material on linking in most of
the compiler texts. I have submitted the postscript slides of two
talks: "Linking and Binding" and "Advanced Linking" by Gray R. Hook of
IBM's Dallas AIX Systems Center to the compilers archive.

( He sent me copies in answer to some questions about dynamic linking
    of shared libraries in AIX posted to comp.unix.aix, and he gave me
    permission to redistribute them. )

Much of the material is AIX and COFF and Unix specific (and quite
invaluable if you are trying to decipher the minimal coverage of
dynamic binding in the AIX online docs! ), but I actually think that
they, along with the papers in the Gnu dld distribution are the best
general primers I have yet found.

You can FTP them from:

iecc.com:pub/file/linking.ps.gz "Linking and Binding"
iecc.com:pub/file/advlink.ps.gz "Advanced Linking"

- Steve Majewski (804-982-0831) <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>
- UVA Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics