Interpreters & Intermediate languages

elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (Elan Feingold)
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 16:40:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreters & Intermediate languages elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (1994-04-13)
Re: Interpreters & Intermediate languages pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-04-13)
Re: Interpretersn & Intermediate languages pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-04-14)
Re: Interpreters & Intermediate languages leichter@thorium.rutgers.edu (1994-04-19)
Re: Interpreters & Intermediate languages khorsell@ee.latrobe.edu.au (1994-04-21)
Re: Interpreters & Intermediate languages bosullvn@maths.tcd.ie (Bryan O'Sullivan) (1994-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (Elan Feingold)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 16:40:16 GMT

I'm looking to write a fast emulator for the Z80. I want to use dynamic
translation. I could translate to 8086 machine code, but this would limit
the portability. I would like to use an intermediate language that would
give me greater speed than regular emulation, but much more portability
than machine language --> machine language. Does anyone have any
suggestions, references, pointers, etc? I am having trouble imagining an
interpreter for an intermediate language running any faster than a pure
emulator, so I must be missing something...

Thanks in advance,

elan

--
| Elan Feingold
| CS/EE Depts.
| Cornell University
| Ithaca NY 14850
[I would be astonished to hear that any translate+interpret strategy was
significantly better than interpreting individual instructions. I expect
you could do the machine language translations from tables, so reworking
the tables would be most of the work of porting to another target system.
-John]