Re: Alias computation?

preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Mon, 11 Apr 1994 16:05:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Alias computation? krinke@infbsps4.cs.tu-bs.de (1994-04-08)
Re: Alias computation? preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-04-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 16:05:50 GMT

krinke@ips.cs.tu-bs.de writes:
>I need to compute the alias relations for general nested procedures.
>I chose the method of Cooper and Kennedy from: Fast interprocedural
>alias analysis, Sixteenth ACM Symposium on Principles Of Programming
>Languages, 1989. However, I think the adaptation to general nesting
>is wrong, the method is ignoring aliases between two formals of
>different procedures under some circumstances.

It's possible the paper is incorrect; however, it's also possible you're
misunderstanding some point. If you want to pursue it, find a
counter-example and send it to me (along with some commentary explaining
what you think has gone wrong) and I'll get Cooper to look at it and get
back to you.

--

In general, when I think I've found a problem in a paper, I proceed
through the following sequence until satisfied:

0) Ignore it (maybe, if I don't need the result).

1) Reread the paper, assuming I'm being dumb. Repeat until
      frustrated.

2) Ask my local friends about it, generally working up from grad
      students to post-docs to professors.

3) Write the authors. Of course, some authors are quite
      difficult to reach (e.g., Cooper, who never reads e-mail :-)

4) Write a paper.

Posting on comp.compilers might replace step 4 if I was more concerned
with results than papers! (i.e., if I were in industry rather than
academia).

Obviously, this is a very traditional approach. The idea is to preserve
everyone's reputations as far as possible. As a side benefit, it cuts
down on the amount of noise.

Preston Briggs