Re: switch statement generation

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Sun, 10 Apr 1994 03:27:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
switch statement generation dgaudet@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (1994-04-06)
Re: switch statement generation mps@dent.uchicago.edu (1994-04-07)
switch statement generation dgaudet@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (1994-04-07)
Re: switch statement generation henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1994-04-10)
Re: switch statement generation ch+@cs.cmu.edu (1994-04-11)
Re: switch statement generation ok@cs.rmit.oz.au (1994-04-13)
Re: switch statement generation ltd@netcom.com (1994-04-14)
Re: switch statement generation chase@Think.COM (1994-04-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 1994 03:27:09 GMT

mps@dent.uchicago.edu (Michael Spertus) writes:
>This is part of a more general notion of assert() where assert means check
>the expression at run time given one kind of compiler behavior e.g.
>unoptimized code generaton. And promice the expression to the optimizer
>given another kind of compiler behavior, e.g. optimized code generation.

These are actually two separate notions, and arguably should not be
bundled into the same construct. I dimly recall at least one language
that had an "assert" statement (meaning "I think this is true here, let me
know if you discover it's not") and an "assume" statement (meaning "this
is true here, for sure, whether it looks that way or not, and you may rely
on it for optimization or assertion checking").
--
Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology, henry@zoo.toronto.edu utzoo!henry