Re: switch generation and exceptions

nandu@cs.clemson.edu
Sat, 9 Apr 1994 14:48:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
switch statement generation dgaudet@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (1994-04-06)
Re: switch statement generation mps@dent.uchicago.edu (1994-04-07)
Re: switch generation and exceptions nandu@cs.clemson.edu (1994-04-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: nandu@cs.clemson.edu
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 1994 14:48:28 GMT

Michael Spertus <mps@dent.uchicago.edu> Wrote:
!I would like to see the keyword nodefault: added to switch statements.

Reminds me of an Ada language feature where you can create exceptions to
handle special values of variables at runtime. It is a superset of the
feature described by Michael. I have always found this to provide the
programmer with a very precise and concise control on the program.

I am not sure if the interest shown above is a general consensus but
I have always wondered
(1) If similar language extensions have ever been envisoned for C/C++
and if so
(2) what are the pros (other than the "exceptional" program control)
and cons for such an extension? also,
(3) how much of an impact does it have on the compile and runtime?
Nandakumar Sankaran (nandu@cs.clemson.edu) (nsankar@hubcap.clemson.edu)
311-8 Old Greenville Hwy. Clemson SC 29631-1651 (803)653-7749
G34 Jordan Hall Comp. Sci. Dept. Clemson Univ. SC 29634 (803)656-6979