"Safe" C++ compilers (was: Re: Why do we still assemble?)

davisdm@widget.msfc.nasa.gov (Mat Davis)
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 12:57:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why do we still assemble? hbaker@netcom.com (1994-04-06)
Re: Why do we still assemble? jpab+@andrew.cmu.edu (Josh N. Pritikin) (1994-04-07)
"Safe" C++ compilers (was: Re: Why do we still assemble?) davisdm@widget.msfc.nasa.gov (1994-04-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: davisdm@widget.msfc.nasa.gov (Mat Davis)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 12:57:50 GMT

Josh N. Pritikin (jpab+@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: There is definitely a need for a C/C++ compiler
: optimized for safety and compile-time. I would switch in a second.

So would I. I prefer C++ to Pascal, but when I have to spend time
tracking down a bug that Pascal would have caught on the first execution
(such as an array subscript out of bounds or dereferencing a NULL
pointer), I wonder why there aren't settings in the compilers for checking
these sorts of things.

I'd rather the compiler check anything it (reasonably) can and be willing
to generate (possibly slow) code to check anything it can at run-time.

Mat Davis
davisdm@widget.msfc.nasa.gov
[Well, there's always ObjectCenter. -John]