C++ cross compilation to 68000

John McLaughlin <laughlin@dsg.cs.tcd.ie>
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 15:01:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ cross compilation to 68000 laughlin@dsg.cs.tcd.ie (John McLaughlin) (1994-04-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: John McLaughlin <laughlin@dsg.cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 15:01:47 GMT

I have a project starting shortly which will require a C++
compiler which will generate 68000 object code to run on what amounts
to a fairly bare hardware architecture, ie. no operating system as
such, but what we do have is a set of assembly routines which we can
fairly easily write bindings for. There was also a specification that
the object code had to be absolute, ie. no run-time linkage, but I
think we can probably get away with having the whole thing use
relative addressing, and hence location independance, in an OS9
fashion.
One option that I was thinking about was g++, and I was
wondering has anyone had any experience of doing something similar.
The advantage of this approach being that I would imagine it should be
fairly straightforward to write a driver for the board to allow the
use of gdb.
Ideally I'd like the compiler to cross-compile under unix or
DOS, preferably unix. gdb could run on either.
Any comments suggestions that anybody has would be most
welcome.
John McLaughlin | Phone +353 1 702-1539
DSG, Dept. of Computer Science, | Fax +353 1 677-2204
Trinity College, | email John.McLaughlin@dsg.cs.tcd.ie
Dublin 2, Ireland |