Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work

bill@amber.csd.harris.com (Bill Leonard)
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 14:22:25 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work baxter@austin.sar.slb.com (1994-03-16)
Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (1994-03-22)
Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work bart@cs.uoregon.edu (1994-03-23)
Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-03-24)
Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1994-03-25)
Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work mboucher@silver.sdsmt.edu (1994-03-29)
Re: On Legacy Applications and Previous Work bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1994-04-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bill@amber.csd.harris.com (Bill Leonard)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 14:22:25 GMT

I wrote:
: For instance, suppose you're working on a government contract,
: similar to contracts you've worked on before and will likely work on
: again. You see a potential for a reusable component, but it is going to
: take additional effort to make it reusable. You will find it very
: difficult to charge the government for that, and then use the software on
: other government programs.

mboucher@silver.sdsmt.edu (Mike Boucher) writes:
> It also depends on the contract type. On a fixed-price contract, having
> access to a body of reusable code gives you an advantage over those who
> lack the same infrastructure.

The point I was making is that you can't *develop* reusable code under
government contract, because the government can legitimately claim that it
(the government) paid for it and therefore you don't have the right to
resell it, even on another government contract! Silly, but there you are.

--
Bill Leonard
Harris Computer Systems Division