Threaded code

dmr@plan9.research.att.com
Sun, 27 Mar 1994 07:31:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Threaded code airs!ian@uunet.UU.NET (1991-04-15)
Threaded code (was Re: P-Code and virtual machines) mark@godzilla.Quotron.COM) (1994-03-26)
Threaded code dmr@plan9.research.att.com (1994-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dmr@plan9.research.att.com
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 1994 07:31:16 GMT

For threaded code, check out J. R. Bell "Threaded Code" CACM 16:6 (1972).
I hope this is a sufficient (and correct) reference. I don't have the
paper at hand, so it might have earlier references.

As I recall, Ken Thompson refereed this paper and fought for a while with
the editor; Ken was willing to have it published, but thought the paper
too lengthy for its content (Didn't CACM have a "Pracniques" or some
similarly-named section for programming hacks? That's what he suggested
it be relegated to). Part of the reason he didn't think it was such a
wonderful invention was that he had used it ca.1969 in the PDP-7 B
compiler. But as John L. suggests, there's a good chance it was original
neither with Bell nor with Thompson.

Dennis Ritchie