A good book for advanced compiler teaching?

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 08:20:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A good book for advanced compiler teaching? torbenm@diku.dk (1994-03-22)
A good book for advanced compiler teaching? ssimmons@convex.com (1994-03-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 08:20:46 GMT

> I plan to teach a course about compilers this autumn. The students have at
> this time already had a basic compiler course, based on part of "The
> Dragon Book". I want the focus to be primarily on code generation and
> optimization, including register allocation and instruction scheduling.

Hmmm.... IMHO, a second book in compilers is not needed. It would be
better to teach your students from the current research on these areas.

Go to the journals like ACM TOPLAS, conferences, etc. and find about a
dozen papers of interest.

This would allow your students to see what is currently going on in
research. It takes away much of the structure that books tend to give
towards a course. Thus, the students are forced to learn differently.

Thank you.

Steve Simmons