Re: question: how to map traces onto integers?

svensson@ISI.EDU
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 23:22:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
question: how to map traces onto integers? frankz@info.win.tue.nl (1994-02-26)
Re: question: how to map traces onto integers? svensson@ISI.EDU (1994-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: svensson@ISI.EDU
Posted-Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 15:22:56 -0800
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 23:22:56 GMT

      I'm looking for a technique to MAP arbitrary TRACES from any
      given set of GRAMMAR-RULES onto the set of natural numbers, or
      INTEGERS.

      I need this in order to be able to identify a complete trace
      (e.g. a pascal program or whatever) by a single natural
      number.

Well, I guess you could do it with something akin to Goedel numbering.
Your trace is just a sequence of tokens, right?

1) label each of the terminals in your grammar with a natural number, L
2) label the tokens in your trace with unique primes P, starting with 2
      and continuing upwards
3) each token in your trace contributes a factor P^L, with P given by
      the position in the trace and L given by the terminal your token is
      an instance of
4) your unique number is the product of the factors of all the tokens

Warning: these numbers become VERY LARGE VERY FAST. This technique is
probably only useful for theoretical considerations.