Re: parsers for ambiguous grammars?

markjan@cs.kun.nl (Mark-Jan Nederhof)
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:13:50 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parsers for ambiguous grammars? dekker@dutiws.twi.tudelft.nl (1994-02-16)
Re: parsers for ambiguous grammars? stachour@sctc.com (1994-02-18)
Re: parsers for ambiguous grammars? markjan@cs.kun.nl (1994-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: markjan@cs.kun.nl (Mark-Jan Nederhof)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:13:50 GMT

dekker@dutiws.twi.tudelft.nl (Rene Dekker) writes:

  >I am looking for parsing techniques that can handle a highly ambiguous
  >grammar and are able to generate partial parses. I am aware that
  >chart-parsers can do such a thing, but I am looking for other techniques
  >also.

  >I am particularly interested in parsers that aply these techniques to
  >graphs. Any pointer to literature or ideas on this matter are welcome.

Tabular parsing and graphs? One paper comes to mind:

Hemerik and Katoen: Bottom-up tree acceptors
Science of Computer Programming 13, 51-72

PS. Chart parsing is a particular view of tabular parsing, with specific
terminology and notation (which I very much dislike). Other examples of
tabular parsing are graph-structured stacks (e.g. Tomita's algorithm) and
dynamic programming for parsing (see the papers by Bernard Lang) and even
memo functions (applied to e.g. functional recursive-descent parsers).

Mark-Jan Nederhof
University of Nijmegen