Truth table evaluation

Philip Riebold <philip@livenet.ac.uk>
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 16:43:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Truth table evaluation philip@livenet.ac.uk (Philip Riebold) (1994-02-25)
Re: Truth table evaluation norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1994-02-26)
Re: Truth table evaluation bcohen@cad721.intel.com (1994-02-26)
Re: Truth table evaluation ashok@cse.iitb.ernet.in (1994-02-28)
Truth table evaluation, summary and thanks philip@livenet.ac.uk (Philip Riebold) (1994-03-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Philip Riebold <philip@livenet.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 16:43:04 GMT

[apologies that this query hasn't got that much to do with compilers but I
thought some compiler techniques might be applicable]

I have an application that generates arbitrary postfix boolean expressions
such as

a b AND c b NOT AND OR END

There are up to 16 different variables in each expression and each
variable may occur more than once.

I need to evaluate the truth table for the expression. At present I use a
straightforward method of evaluating the expression for each of the
possible combination of the variables. For 16 variables this takes ~3
seconds on a SUN IPC.

Are there any ways I can speed this up ? There are special case rules I
can apply if all the operators are the same but I am looking for methods
which work in the general case.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Philip