Re: References on Garbage Collection?

wilson@cs.utexas.edu (Paul Wilson)
Sun, 20 Feb 1994 01:05:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
References on Garbage Collection? chadle@wordperfect.com (1994-02-18)
Re: References on Garbage Collection? hudson@cs.umass.edu (1994-02-18)
Re: References on Garbage Collection? mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (1994-02-18)
Re: References on Garbage Collection? nandu@cs.clemson.edu (1994-02-18)
Re: References on Garbage Collection? wilson@cs.utexas.edu (1994-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: wilson@cs.utexas.edu (Paul Wilson)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 1994 01:05:30 GMT

Chad Leigh <chadle@wordperfect.com> wrote:
>Does anyone happen to have a bibliography on garbage collection /
>current trends in garbage collection?

The only broad, modern survey of GC techniques I know of is mine from the
proceedings of the International Workshop on Memory Management. (I would
never say such a thing myself, but I'm told it's pretty good :-). For one
thing, it's got the first coherent discussion of various incremental
techniques.

There's also a new, long version that I've submitted to Computing Surveys.
It's 60-odd pages of 2-up 10pt text, plus about 160 citations. Even so,
it doesn't cover parallel and distributed GC's. (I think the discussion
of incremental techniques lays the right groundwork for understanding
distributed GC techniques, though.) Comments on this paper are welcome.
It's already about as long as it should be for Computing Surveys, but I'll
probably expand it into several book chapters as well.

Both of those surveys are available via anonymous ftp from cs.utexas.edu,
as pub/garbage/gcsurvey.ps and pub/garbage/bigsurv.ps. The bibliography
file is in pub/garbage/heaps.bib.

There's also a survey on distributed GC from IWMM
(pub/garbage/dgcsurvey.ps) by Abdullahi, Miranda, and Ringwood. This
paper may not print if you don't have an Apple LaserWriter. (It's not my
paper, so don't send me mail about it---I can't fix it.)

Check out pub/garbage/README for a list of some other things available
there, including collected papers from the three OOPSLA GC workshops, and
papers and source code for our free persistent object store (Texas). Real
Soon Now we'll put the code for our real-time non-copying collector there
too.

(Recent papers on garbage collection, memory hierarchies, and persistence
are available via anonymous ftp from cs.utexas.edu, in pub/garbage.)
--
| Paul R. Wilson, Computer Sciences Dept., University of Texas at Austin |
| Taylor Hall 2.124, Austin, TX 78712-1188 wilson@cs.utexas.edu |