Alternative to yacc/lex

Per Frykenvall <>
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 11:31:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Alternative to yacc/lex (Per Frykenvall) (1994-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Per Frykenvall <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 11:31:32 GMT

I'm working on a compiler rewriting project, for an internally
used 4GL language. The former compiler was of ad hoc type, now
we want to use a neatly structured solution. The compiler must
be portable between many different platforms.

One problem with yacc and lex is that they produce a lot og
global variables (yy...). Since we use light-weight processes
this means that we must forbid simultaneous compilations.
We'd like to put all those variables into a struct, automatically.
Have anyone seen a solution to this problem?

Maybe there are newer, better alternatives to yacc/lex?
* Per Frykenvall Voice: +46-31-89 04 78 *
* WM-data Applikationssystem AB Fax: +46-31-45 05 88 *
* Box 2065 *
* S-421 02 GOTEBORG *
* Sweden Internet: *
[GNU Bison has a reentrant parser option that makes all of the parser
variables local. -John]