Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted

"Terence Parr" <parrt@s1.arc.umn.edu>
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 18:29:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LL(1) BNF validator wanted emp@xgml.com (1994-01-31)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (1994-01-31)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted Michael.Bergman@eua.ericsson.se (1994-02-01)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted parag@netcom.com (1994-02-01)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1994-02-02)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted gary@intrepid.com (1994-02-02)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted dave@cs.arizona.edu (1994-02-02)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted parrt@s1.arc.umn.edu (Terence Parr) (1994-02-04)
Re: LL(1) BNF validator wanted adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1994-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Terence Parr" <parrt@s1.arc.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 18:29:52 GMT

Our moderator writes:

> [Yacc, being a LALR parser generator, is unlikely to give you much insight
> into LL(1)-ness. -John]

Oddly enough, an LALR(1) tool can give you sufficient conditions for a
grammar to be LL(1) as well. Unfortunately, because there is at least one
(contrived) grammar that is LL(1) that is not LALR(1), therefore, YACC
cannot be used to determine if a grammar is NOT LL(1).

Here's the cool idea (with kudos to a proof by Brosgol in his 74 PhD
thesis at Harvard, I think):

Given a (LALR(1)) grammar, G:

[1] Construct G' by placing a unique action on the extreme left
edge of each production of G.

[2] Run YACC on G'. If G' is still LALR(1), it is also LL(1).

I.e., do this

a : {} A
    | {} B
    ;

and then run YACC on it. The rule "cracking" to force actions to a
"reduce" is the key to the mechanism here.

By placing actions at the left edge of productions, the LALR parser is
forced to know its position in the grammar at the left edge of every rule
rather than at the right edge; which implies that it must be able to
predict which production it will apply; hence, if the augmented grammar is
LALR, the grammar must also be LL.

The explicit corollary I wrote a while back on LALR(1) is thus:

Corollary: G' member LALR(k) is a sufficient, BUT NOT NECESSARY, condition
for the corresponding LALR(k) grammar, G, to be LL(k). For the proof,
send me email.

Regards,
Terence Parr (parrt@acm.org)
"Cool Tools Dept."