Ref. on compilation of abstract mixed dense-sparse matrix operations

litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch (James Litsios)
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 15:24:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Ref. on compilation of abstract mixed dense-sparse matrix operations litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch (1994-02-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,sci.math.num-analysis
From: litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch (James Litsios)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 15:24:28 GMT

Does anybody have some references on the following problem:

I have multi-dimensionnal matrices that have complex mixed dense and
sparse storage schemes. The storage is defined by equations so a dense
storage would be a j0=i*step+offset type relation and sparse structures
are defined with extra index vectors (or matrices) like j0 = s[i]. Being
multi-dimensional, a single matrix can mix in a abitrary fashion the dense
and sparse equations.

I want to compile operations involving these matrices.

Obviously I need to solve the equations that describe the different matrix
structure given the constraints of the operations. I am currently working
on this in a very direct heuristic rule way. I find the dependency
relations and then try to match patterns and when all failes generate a
very inefficient code.

I have found literature on specific sparsity structure compilation (the
typical parallelize fortran stuff) but nothing on a general formulation of
the problem. Does anybody have any references?

James Litsios Phone: +41 1/632 60 92
Integrated Systems Laboratory Fax: +41 1/252 09 94
ETH Zurich E-Mail:litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch
CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland