Re: Project on Compiler

Kurt Bischoff <>
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 19:59:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Project on Compiler (1994-01-13)
Re: Project on Compiler (1994-01-13)
Re: Project on Compiler jhall@garden.WPI.EDU (1994-01-13)
Re: Project on Compiler (1994-01-14)
Re: Project on Compiler (Kurt Bischoff) (1994-01-14)
Re: Project on Compiler (1994-01-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Kurt Bischoff <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 19:59:09 GMT

jhall@garden.WPI.EDU (John Clinton Hall) wrote:

>There are also a number of other parser generators out there, if you don't
>want to use lex/yacc. One that sticks out in my mind is Ox.

If you use Ox, you _are_ using Yacc and Lex: Ox is a preprocessor for
those tools, and Ox depends on them for generation of code for lexical and
syntax analysis. Ox generates the code for semantic analysis: for
parse-tree construction, for decoration, and for traversal. Ox
understands a general attribute-grammar extension of Yacc/Lex, so for a
lot of people, it's easy to convert to Ox.

Oops, well, yes, you can use Ox with Bison and/or Flex instead of Yacc and

Ox is available by anonymous ftp in pub/ox on
Kurt Bischoff, Computer Science Dept., Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa