code gen for modern architectures and code generator generators

Desnogues <desnogue@mimosa.unice.fr>
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 13:46:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
code gen for modern architectures and code generator generators desnogue@mimosa.unice.fr (Desnogues) (1994-01-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Desnogues <desnogue@mimosa.unice.fr>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 13:46:11 GMT

    I'm looking for references and experiences about:

          - intermediate languages and virtual machines used between
front-ends and back-ends
          - optimizations techniques for RISC and modern architectures
(instruction scheduling, cache management, etc.)
          - code generator generators such as ACK (Amsterdam Compiler Kit).

The aim is to evaluate the adequacy of a virtual machine, namely the EM of
ACK, as an intermediate language between already written front-ends and a
code generator generator to be written.

Of course, we'd like to leave the front-ends unchanged hence keeping EM as
an intermediate language. However the ACK code generator generator was
written with CISC processors in mind and is quite inadequate for modern
processors with multiple general registers, simple memory addressing
schemes, pipelines (causing delayed load & branches), multiple concurrent
computing units, and caches.

(For those who don't know EM, it is a rather classical stack-based virtual
machine targetted toward block-structured languages.)

Any information about the aforementionned problems will be greatly
appreciated.

Laurent Desnogues