Book(s) about compilers? (Francois Nouri)
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 07:58:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book(s) about compilers? (1994-01-05)
Compiler text (William Waite) (1994-01-05)
Re: Compiler text (1994-01-06)
Compiler texts: Theory vs. Practice (1994-01-06)
Re: Compiler text (William Waite) (1994-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Francois Nouri)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 07:58:39 GMT

I very recently re-read parts of the "dragon book" ("Compilers:
Principles, Techniques, and Tools"). Although I know it is a reference
book, I found it to err too much on then side of the theory and to neglect
practical aspects.

I also took a second look at parts of Holub's "Compiler in C" which had
been heavily used in my compilers course last year. It really was a lot
more pragmatic than the dragon book, but I found the code generation part
rather disappointing, especially since what was generated was "c-code" and
not some real assembly language. Moreover, code optimization was totally
skipped, if memory serves me.

So, here I am: I am looking for a book which would be a good mix of those
two books, i.e. a book that would combine the theoretical aspects and some
implementation examples for a reasonably real compiler (generating
assembly code for 680X0 or SPARC, for example).

Am I asking too much, or is this little wonder available somewhere ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Francois Nouri | E.C.P. | Graduate Student in
E-mail: | (Centrale Paris) | Open Systems Engineering