Re: SUMMARY using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces

norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (Norman Ramsey)
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 19:38:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SUMMARY using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces spuler@cs.jcu.edu.au (David Spuler) (1993-12-08)
Re: SUMMARY using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1993-12-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (Norman Ramsey)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1993 19:38:16 GMT

David Spuler <spuler@cs.jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>I would appreciate hearing any more information on portable or
>non-portable methods of producing stack traces or any of the
>above problems.

Chapter 8 of my dissertation describes techniques used to minimize the
amount of machine-dependent code used to produce stack traces in a
retargetable debugger. PostScript is available from
ftp.cs.princeton.edu:reports/1992/403.ps.Z or from
bellcore.com:pub/norman/thesis.ps.Z. The debugger supports the standard
Unix calling sequences on MIPS R3000, SPARC, VAX, and 68k (NeXT flavor)
hardware. I'm happy to send source code to interested parties, but I
don't have time right now to put together a distribution for anonymous
ftp.