Help using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces

spuler@coral.cs.jcu.edu.au (David Spuler)
Sat, 27 Nov 1993 10:40:53 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces spuler@coral.cs.jcu.edu.au (1993-11-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: spuler@coral.cs.jcu.edu.au (David Spuler)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1993 10:40:53 GMT

I'm trying to use Gnu's BFD (binary file descriptor) library to add
program stack traces to a simple debug malloc library. Unfortunately, the
BFD documentation is not the best and I'm lost as to how to do it,
although it looks as if it should be easy.

The specific problems I'd like to solve using BFD are:

1) Provide a stack trace at the current point of execution
2) Determine if a given address is on the stack, static, heap, etc
3) Determine if a given address refers to a variable (if any)
      and extract its name (if available).

Has anyone done this before? (Used BFD in a debug malloc library)
Is there a better group to post to? (no Gnu groups looked appropriate)
Are there any better BFD docs somewhere? Technical Reports?

Are there any problems using BFD to operate upon itself (i.e. the
debug malloc stuff will be linked so the BFD library will be
invoked upon the executable in which it is executing.)

Thanks for any help,
David Spuler