Re: book on internals of debugger?

jkenton@world.std.com (Jeff Kenton)
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 17:11:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
book on internals of debugger? ajain@ca.merl.com (Anurag Jain) (1993-11-20)
Re: book on internals of debugger? lacey@zamboni.sps.mot.com (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? norman@flash.bellcore.com (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? mav@gaia.cc.gatech.edu (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? a_tucker@paul.spu.edu (Andrew Tucker) (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? thutt@clark.net (1993-11-23)
Re: book on internals of debugger? iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (1993-11-23)
Re: book on internals of debugger? jkenton@world.std.com (1993-11-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jkenton@world.std.com (Jeff Kenton)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 17:11:27 GMT

mav@gaia.cc.gatech.edu (Maurizio Vitale) writes:
>My suggestion is to grab a copy of gdb and study it. It does
>everything other debuggers do and it is publicly available. The code
>is also quite well commented.

Having just had the pleasure of improving a particular version of gdb (for
the Motorola 88100) I wouldn't recommned it as a way to learn.

Not only does it do everything other debuggers do, it is also set up to be
ported to a large number of other machines. There are too many ifdef's
and parameters, and too many extra layers of stuff (to cover all possible
machine architecture and compiler combinations) to make it a pleasant
first learning experience on the subject. Not that I'm recommending that
you go look at the original adb source instead.
--
Jeff Kenton (617) 894-4508
jkenton@world.std.com