Re: book on internals of debugger?

thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 12:43:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
book on internals of debugger? ajain@ca.merl.com (Anurag Jain) (1993-11-20)
Re: book on internals of debugger? lacey@zamboni.sps.mot.com (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? norman@flash.bellcore.com (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? mav@gaia.cc.gatech.edu (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? a_tucker@paul.spu.edu (Andrew Tucker) (1993-11-22)
Re: book on internals of debugger? thutt@clark.net (1993-11-23)
Re: book on internals of debugger? iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (1993-11-23)
Re: book on internals of debugger? jkenton@world.std.com (1993-11-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 12:43:42 GMT

Andrew Tucker <a_tucker@paul.spu.edu> wrote:
>Ronald Mak's book "Writing Compilers and Interpreters" talks about
>writing an interactive debugger for a subset of Pascal. The discussion
>is specific to DOS, however.

I've commented on this book in the past, but I feel the compulsion to do
it again. Ronald Mak's book is so bad that it will cause damage if you
really expect to get the code working. This book is the absolute worst
book I have ever encountered about compilers. The code in the book will
not work as published, and even if it did, the generated code has no hope
of working either (trace thru to see what code will be generated by hand).

All in all, avoid this book at all costs! I am extremely sorry I bought
this book, and I don't even keep it on my bookshelf.

Taylor Hutt