Re: Semantic error recovery

weberwu@inf.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff)
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 14:27:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Semantic error recovery olsen@verdix.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery enedervo@adobe.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery kanze@us-es.sel.de (James Kanze) (1993-11-15)
Re: Semantic error recovery delano@snake.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1993-11-17)
Re: Semantic error recovery bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1993-11-17)
Re: Semantic error recovery weberwu@inf.fu-berlin.de (1993-11-18)
Re: Semantic error recovery bj@hatch.socal.com (1993-11-22)
Re: Semantic error recovery sommerfeld@apollo.hp.com (1993-11-23)
Re: Semantic error recovery geoff@flash.bellcore.com (1993-11-28)
Re: Semantic error recovery bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1993-12-01)
Re: Semantic error recovery geoff@flash.bellcore.com (1993-12-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: weberwu@inf.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 14:27:52 GMT

Our esteemed moderator writes:
>[How many people find it useful for a compiler to chug through and try to
>parse and diagnose an entire file in the presence of errors? I'm just as
>happy with one that finds a few errors and gives up so I can go fix them.

I don't like compilers that give up right away, I'd prefer to be able to
set a threshhold ("Give me 20 errors, max!"), especially if it's a
compiler that takes a long time to get off the ground. However, my
students constantly fix *just* the first error and recompile... (or like
the student today: just type anything and recompile - the Ada compiler was
complaining that there were two parameters to a PUT procedure where only
one was expected, the student changed the comma to a semicolon and
recompiled. When I asked him why, he said "I just know intitively what to
do!")
--
Debora Weber-Wulff, Professorin fuer Softwaretechnik und
snail: Technische Fachhochschule Berlin, FB Informatik,