Re: Semantic error recovery

delano@snake.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 04:55:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Semantic error recovery sasghm@unx.sas.com (1993-11-11)
Re: Semantic error recovery strohm@mksol.dseg.ti.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery olsen@verdix.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery enedervo@adobe.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery kanze@us-es.sel.de (James Kanze) (1993-11-15)
Re: Semantic error recovery delano@snake.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1993-11-17)
Re: Semantic error recovery bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1993-11-17)
Re: Semantic error recovery weberwu@inf.fu-berlin.de (1993-11-18)
Re: Semantic error recovery bj@hatch.socal.com (1993-11-22)
Re: Semantic error recovery sommerfeld@apollo.hp.com (1993-11-23)
Re: Semantic error recovery geoff@flash.bellcore.com (1993-11-28)
Re: Semantic error recovery bill@amber.csd.harris.com (1993-12-01)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: delano@snake.CS.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1993 04:55:24 GMT

the moderator wrote:
>[How many people find it useful for a compiler to chug through and try to
>parse and diagnose an entire file in the presence of errors? I'm just as
>happy with one that finds a few errors and gives up so I can go fix them.
>-John]

It's occasionally very useful to have the compiler report all the errors
it can find. For example, if you are considering porting a large
application to a system with a compiler that may not be completely
compatible with the one(s) the application is written in (and most C
compilers aren't completely compatible, if you have a sufficiently large
and "sophisticated" application) -- you would like to try to compile the
whole application, then look at all the error messages to give you an idea
of what you are up against.

The same might be true if you are considering a modification to an include
file or to a macro rather than a port - you would like to see how many
instances of errors you get, rather than just the number of files that
contain errors.

Of course you want the compiler to do decent recovery so it reports the
real errors and not a huge flurry of bogus messages.

Patrick