keywords not reserved, any guidelines ??

Ann Roddy <>
Thu, 11 Nov 1993 22:00:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
keywords not reserved, any guidelines ?? (Ann Roddy) (1993-11-11)
keywords not reserved, any guidelines ?? (James Kanze) (1993-11-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Ann Roddy <>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 22:00:10 GMT

I am looking for any guidelines, papers, or books that cover the lexical
problems associated with languages such as Fortran, PLEX, and PL/I, ie.
languages which do not have keywords as reserved words, thus the lookahead
of such parsers is large.

I have studied a few methods for specific Fortran parsers, but I would
like to know if anything significant has been written on this area ?? Most
books I've read seem to gloss over the topic .

Pls. email to address below,

thanks in advance

Ann Roddy, C.S.I.S Email :
University Of Limerick Voice : +353-61-333644 ext 5216
Limerick, Ireland. Fax : +353-61-330876
[It is my impression that all the techniques for parsing context dependent
languages are quite ad hoc. Fortran must be the worst -- you can't even
tell where the token boundaries are until you've prescanned an entire
statement. PL/I is easy enough to tokenize, but the parser has to be able
handle IF IF = THEN; THEN ELSE = IF; ELSE ELSE = THEN; so it needs a lot
of feedback to the lexer to know when to expect a keyword and when to expect
a variable name. -John]