Re: debuggers (Bill Sommerfeld)
Thu, 11 Nov 1993 18:33:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[4 earlier articles]
Debuggers (1991-08-08)
How long does it take to build a compiler? (Youngwhan Lee) (1993-10-27)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-11)
debuggers (1993-11-11)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-11)
Re: debuggers sean@PICARD.TAMU.EDU (1993-11-12)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-14)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Bill Sommerfeld)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 18:33:41 GMT (Shyamal Prasad) writes:

      gdb on running on a DEC Station 5000 under ULTRIX allows watch points.
      However, it does *not* use the hardware and runs about 10 to a 100
      times slower.

      I have used them one time when I was really sunk...they *do* work.

... assuming you're lucky and the bug in question isn't timing
dependant (generally not an issue if you're debugging a compiler, but
often an issue for other things..).

BTW, if you have some idea of where the error is taking place, you can
often significantly increase the effectiveness of watchpoints/ breakpoints
by chaining breakpoints together using gdb's enable/disable commands
*from* commands executed at breakpoints or conditional breakpoints...

- Bill