Re: debuggers (Zalman Stern)
Thu, 11 Nov 1993 00:54:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debuggers think!cullvax! (1987-03-07)
Re: Debuggers harvard!rutgers!sri-unix!ctnews!mitisft!markb (1987-03-12)
Re: Debuggers harvard!rutgers!spam!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!decvax!vir (1987-03-15)
Re: Debuggers decvax!decwrl!mips!himel (1987-03-23)
Debuggers (1991-08-08)
Re: How long does it take to build a compiler? (1993-11-10)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-11)
debuggers (1993-11-11)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-11)
Re: debuggers sean@PICARD.TAMU.EDU (1993-11-12)
Re: debuggers (1993-11-14)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Zalman Stern)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 00:54:05 GMT

John Levine writes
> I believe that they think that with some cooperation from the paging system
> they can provide useful watchpoints via page faults. -John]

I'm fairly sure SGI has OS support for breakpoints on accessing a page or
part of a page. (Used in their CASEVision debugger.) I expect the reason
watchpoint hardware isn't widely used in the UNIX world is lack of a good,
consistent interface that is implemented with few enough bugs on more than
one OS. You also run into wierd issues like how many watchpoints can be set
at once etc...
Zalman Stern (415) 962 3824
Adobe Systems, 1585 Charleston Rd., POB 7900, Mountain View, CA 94039-7900