Re: Semantic error recovery

mauney@adm.csc.ncsu.edu (Jon Mauney)
Wed, 10 Nov 1993 16:45:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Semantic error recovery whatis@gni.ai.mit.edu (1993-11-02)
Re: Semantic error recovery isckbk@leonis.nus.sg (1993-11-10)
Re: Semantic error recovery mauney@adm.csc.ncsu.edu (1993-11-10)
Re: Semantic error recovery wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (1993-11-11)
Re: Semantic error recovery sasghm@unx.sas.com (1993-11-11)
Re: Semantic error recovery strohm@mksol.dseg.ti.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery olsen@verdix.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery enedervo@adobe.com (1993-11-12)
Re: Semantic error recovery kanze@us-es.sel.de (James Kanze) (1993-11-15)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mauney@adm.csc.ncsu.edu (Jon Mauney)
Posted-Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 16:45:23 GMT
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 16:45:23 GMT

Steve Boswell (whatis@gni.ai.mit.edu) wrote:
: Are there compilers that recover from semantic errors without a cascade of
: meaningless error messages? How do they do it?

The fact is that most commercial compilers have appallingly bad error
handling, despite the fact that reasonable techniques for handling both
syntax and semantic errors have been available for what seems like eons.

The semantic error technique is well known. For example essentially the
same approach is described in Fischer&LeBlanc's Crafting a Compiler. As
best I recall, Fischer taught this technique when I took compiler
construction back in 1978, and it probably was not new at that time.

Apparently, compiler customers do not spend enough time ridiculing vendors
for their egregious front-ends.